“PERMANENT CAMP” CUSTER EXPEDITION


(Click on The Picture to Zoom)

After crossing the hot, dry Great Plains, the Black Hills Expedition arrived on the western side of the Black Hills on July 22, 1874. The entire force entered the pine-covered Hills, forging a road, cutting trees, building temporary bridges over gullies and streams – anything necessary to continue on their way with the wagon train. Working their way through the western Black Hills, the Expedition eventually arrived at a beautiful valley south of Harney’s Peak, now the site of the town of Custer, S.D. Here, and at a “permanent camp” 3 miles east, they stayed for 6 days, exploring and mapping the area, and climbing Harney’s Peak, while meanwhile back at camp civilian miners tested French Creek for gold, and found some.

Center map

Decimal Degrees: 43.77025, -103.53845

error: Content is protected !!