MOON GHOST TOWN


(Click on The Picture to Zoom)

* Moon is on private land – please view from road.
Moon, South Dakota was an actual incorporated town in the late 1800’s. It was named after a local settler, named Jack Moon. Located near the corner of Boles Canyon Rd and Six Mile Rd, it was a tiny local community to serve the area ranchers, fur traders and prospectors.
At one time it had a general store, a bar, a post office, and several other buildings. There was even a campground here. Sometime in the 1920’s or so the town more or less just died. The buildings were abandoned. The 14 or so acres that used to be the town are now under private ownership. Some of the buildings that remain are used as a private Elk hunting retreat.

Center map

Decimal Degrees: 43.9464,-104.0083

error: Content is protected !!