GOLD MOUNTAIN MINE


(Click on The Picture to Zoom)

The Gold Mountain Mine is the only gold mine site left on the Forest with a standing mill frame.  It was constructed in the 1920s, operated until 1940 and shutdown in 1941 by a war department order.  An interpretive trail wraps around the perimeter of the site. 

Black Hills Historic Preservation and Trust, Passport in Time volunteers, the Youth Natural Resources Program, Boxelder Job Corps Civilian Conservation Center, Deadwood Historic Preservation Commission, Pennington County Resource Advisory Committee and Black Hills National Forest are a few of the partners that have had a hand in helping to preserve this important piece of history.

The mine is located 4 miles northwest of Hill City, SD.

Center map

Decimal Degrees: 43.9852,-103.6088

error: Content is protected !!