FORT MEADE GHOST TOWN


(Click on The Picture to Zoom)

Fort Meade was established during the winter of 1878-79 by the 1st & 11th infantry as well as the reorganized 7th Cavalry. The 7th Cavalry, re-formed after the disastrous Battle of the Little Big Horn in 1876, constituted the first permanent garrison of the post. Its commander, Colonel Samuel D Sturgis, was on of the founders of the nearby town that bears his name. It was at Fort Meade that the Cavalry horse Commanche, the only living thing found on the Little Big Horn Battlefield, was officially retired with military honors.
It was here, too, that the Star Spangled Banner first became the official music for the military retreat ceremony, long before in became the National Anthem. (FORT MEADE MUSEUM .ORG)


Decimal Degrees: 44.409651, -103.471267

LINKS:

FORT MEADE MUSEUM

error: Content is protected !!