ENGLEWOOD GHOST TOWN


(Click on The Picture to Zoom)

Englewood was established as Ten-Mile Ranch. It was a stagecoach stop in the late 1870s, but the name was changed when the Burlington arrived on its
way to Deadwood in 1890. Englewood became a railroad center with the construction of the Spearfish branch leading from there in 1893. The
narrow gauge Black Hills and Fort Pierre line just north of Englewood was constructed in the mid-1880s. A roundhouse, depot, water tower and small yard made Englewood a bustling railroad spot for many years. A man named Mr. Kelly operated a still at Ten-Mile Ranch. Supposedly, it kept Deadwood well stocked with tax-free whiskey. The town gradually died as the railroad cut back services over the years. Notice the old foundations still visible today.

Center map

Decimal Degrees: 44.2969,-103.7846

LINKS:

MICKELSON TRAIL

error: Content is protected !!